Parks, today's public places of relaxation, tell the story of Minato-ku history!
The places that became public parks at this time were mostly portions of a temple compound; for example, Zojo-ji Temple in Shiba, Kan'ei-ji Temple in Ueno, Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa, Eitai-ji Temple in Fukagawa. In addition, the gardens of daimyo (feudal lord) estates were also established as parks in the same way. For a long time, the Minato-ku area has been an accumulation of many shrines, temples, and estates of military families and feudal lords, and as such, it now contains several parks.
Since Japan's distant past, the grounds of shrines and temples have been used by the townspeople for enjoyment, such as holding festivals, and as such already played a similar role to public parks. It is likely thanks to the unbroken continued use of these places, and the roles and significance they have in people's lives, that Minato has long been an area where people gather.
Shiba Park - Japan's first park, where history and nature coexist
Kyu Shiba Rikyu Garden - Take a turn around the oldest daimyo estate garden
This land was reclaimed from the sea and in 1678 was bestowed upon the council elder Okubo Tadatomo by the shogun Ietsuna Tokugawa, as the daimyo garden "Rakujuen". In those days, the pond's water was supplied by the sea, and the scenery of the islands and sandbank were said to change dramatically with the sea's ebb and flow; when the tide was out, it was even possible to cross between the pond's "Nakajima" and "Ukishima" islands.
Old Shiba Rikyu Gardens
The old Shiba Rikyu Garden is one of the oldest feudal lords gardens, estimated to have been made from 1678 to 1686. In the early Edo period, it is a typical migratory fountain garden, with a very good arrangement of garden compartments and stones centered around the pond, and has been designated as a National scenic spot. It was originally reclaimed from the sea surface, and it became the residence ground of the old and the Okubo Tadasa. Tadasa built a garden when building a kamiyashiki and named it "Rakuju-en". After that, after the owner of several people, it became the Shiba Miyashiki of the Kishu Tokugawa family in the Edo period. In 1871, the Arisugawa Miyan was owned and the Imperial Palace was purchased in 1875, and the next year it became Shiba Rikyu. It was damaged during the Great Kanto earthquake, but the following year it was restored to the possession of the city of Tokyo as a commemorative commemoration of the Crown prince (Showa Emperor), and has been open to the public since 1924.
Daiba Park - A seaside park which leaves traces of the Black Ships' arrival
None of the batteries were used, but at present, Batteries number 3 and 6 remain. Battery number 3 became a park, and Battery number 6 is preserved as a precious historical landmark, rich in nature and scientific value.
In preparation for the Black ships re-ships of Perry, among the seven forts made on the Bay of Tokyo, the third place in Taisho 12 was repaired to become a maritime park. The square shape that floats on the sea is felt by the Daiba likeness. The Rainbow Bridge can be seen from the park where the ruins of the turret remain. In the Daiba Park, the Someiyoshino and the Ooshima cherry are planted in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Daiba construction, a junior high school student in Nirayama town, Shizuoka Prefecture, and elementary school students from Fussa City, Tokyo, about 50 years ago.
Arisugawa-no-miya Memorial Park - A children's park abundant in nature, passed down from the Arisugawa-no-miya Imperial Family
This location was used as an urban villa for the Morioka Nanbu daimyo in the Edo period, but in the Meiji period, Prince Takehito Arisugawa had it developed as a residence for his son, Prince Tanehito.
Arisugawa Palace Memorial Park
It is a Japan garden with a very good nature in the place where there was the shimoyashiki of the Asano family famous for Chushingura. It became the shimoyashiki of the Morioka clan Southern House in the Edo period, and went through the site of the Arisugawa Miyagai and Takamatsu House, and was lift down as a park site in Tokyo City at that time in 1934. More than 100 sakura trees are planted in the park, and all 11 types of Someiyoshino and Satcherry are introduced to the Guide board next to the Tokyo Metropolitan Central Library, "Sakura of Arisugawa Omiya Memorial Park". In the park, you can enjoy seasonal flowers such as dogwood and hydrangea, as well as plum blossoms and flower Kiyotaka Shobuda.
The Institute for Nature Study - An oasis of nature predating Tokyo Metropolis, in the heart of the city
As the public was not able to enter the area, it remains in the bountiful natural state of the Tokyo of old. The park is managed with the aim of preserving it in its rare original state as much as possible, so it really is a precious urban oasis that gives you the feeling you have traveled back in time.
Nature Education Center, National Science Museum
In 1949, the Botanical Garden, designated as a national monument to natural monuments, is an oasis in the city that is ideal for exploring. There are a lot of attractions such as "Musashino Botanical Garden", "Aquatic botanical Garden" and "Water bird Swamp" where the scenery of Musashino remains, and it is familiar with nature original appearance. On weekends, experts will be holding a free observation session to guide the zoo.